Skip to main content

MTeach Primary

This page has all the information you need to engage in the following PE units

  • PE1 – MTP502
  • PE2 – MTP506
  • PE3 – MTC600

Please note, the Internship unit is located separately here, as it has different requirements to PE 1, 2 and 3.

Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis for the number of days shown in a continuous block and students need to plan carefully to ensure they are able to meet this commitment. The total number of days of professional experience in the course will satisfy all states’ requirements for teacher registration.

Where possible (but not essential), students should try to undertake placements across all primary year levels: junior (Y1-2), middle (Y3-4) and upper (Y5-6) primary. (Placements cannot be undertaken in year levels below primary year level 1.)

MTP502 and MTP506

MTP502 and MTP506

MTP502 Placement (Annual)
The first Professional Experience involves a two-week block placement. This is an annual placement as you will return to the same school and classroom.  Emphasis during the first placement is on helping you to relate successfully to children in small groups and on an individual basis, developing basic skills and knowledge as a novice teacher, and gaining an understanding of the role of the teacher.

MTP506 Placement (Annual)
For the second Professional Experience, you will have a three-week block placement in the same school as the first placement. The focus for this professional experience is creating and managing a positive learning environment.


In the third Professional Experience, you will have a three-week block placement. It is intended to build on the learning experienced during the previous units and to extend this to the development of a personal teaching philosophy and classroom management plan.

The particular focus of this unit is the development of a personal philosophy of education including classroom management, development of assessment and evaluation skills, and the further development of lesson planning skills.

How do I approach schools?

*For students outside of WA only

Use the following documents when approaching schools to find a PE placement:

PE1 & PE2 Introductory letter (MTP502 & MTP506)

PE3 Introductory letter (MTC600)

Master of Teaching (Primary) PE Handbook

WA students go directly to ‘Do I have everything I need to go on PE?’

Who do I contact for support during PE?

For PE administration queries please contact the Curtin School of Education OUA PE Team ( using this email template.

For PE Academic queries please contact your Tutor, Unit Coordinator, or Course Coordinator.

Curtin Connect: your Curtin hub for general student service, support and advice

Curtin Personal Support