Skip to main content

GradDipEdu Secondary

This page has all the information you need to engage in the following PE units

  • PE1 – MTS502
  • PE2 – MTS504
  • PE3 – MTC600

Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis for the number of days shown in a continuous block according to the dates in the Curtin Professional Experience Calendar and students need to plan carefully to ensure they are able to meet this commitment.

The Professional Experience units within the secondary program are purposefully structured to ensure you develop the skills and content knowledge required to support your development as a teacher. The initial focus is upon pedagogy and planning; then you will move on to managing learning environments and finally assessment practices.

MTS502 Secondary PE1: Planning
MTS504 Secondary PE2: Assessment and Reporting
MTC600 PE3: Using Data to Inform Teaching and Learning

MTS502 Secondary PE1: Planning

MTS502 Placement
The first Professional Experience involves a two-week block placement. Emphasis during the first placement is on helping you to relate successfully to students in small groups and on an individual basis, developing basic skills and knowledge as a novice teacher, and gaining an understanding of the role of the teacher.

MTS504 Secondary PE2: Assessment and Reporting

MTS504 Placement
For the second Professional Experience, you will have a three-week block placement. The focus for this professional experience is creating and managing a positive learning environment.

MTC600 PE3: Using Data to Inform Teaching and Learning

MTC600 Placement

In the third and final Professional Experience, you will have a four-week block placement. It is intended to build on the learning experienced during the previous units and to extend this to the development of a personal teaching philosophy and classroom management plan.

The particular focus of this unit is the development of a personal philosophy of education including classroom management, development of assessment and evaluation skills, and the further development of lesson planning skills.

How do I approach schools?

*For students outside of WA only

Use the following documents when approaching schools to find a PE placement:

Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary) PE Handbook

WA students will be placed in a school by the Professional Experience Team, as is required by the Teacher Registration Board of WA.

Who do I contact for support during PE?

For PE administration queries please contact the Curtin School of Education OUA PE Team ( using this email template.

For PE Academic queries please contact your Tutor, Unit Coordinator, or Course Coordinator.

Curtin Connect: your Curtin hub for general student service, support and advice

Curtin Personal Support