Skip to main content

BEd Secondary

This page has all the information you need to engage in the following PE units

  • PE1 – EDS210
  • PE2 – EDS261
  • PE3 – EDS360

Please note, the Internship unit is located separately here, as it has different requirements to PE 1, 2 and 3.

Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis for the number of days shown in a continuous block and students need to plan carefully to ensure they are able to meet this commitment. The total number of days of professional experience in the course will satisfy all states’ requirements for teacher registration.

EDS210 and EDS261

EDS210 and EDS261

You will do your Professional Experience for EDS210 and EDS261 at the same school and with the same mentor teacher and class.

EDS210 Placement (Annual)

The first Professional Experience involves a two-week block placement. This is an annual placement as you will return to the same school, mentor teacher and classroom.  Emphasis during the first placement is on planning, developing basic skills and knowledge as a novice teacher, and gaining an understanding of the role of the teacher.

EDS261 Placement (Annual)

For the second Professional Experience, you will have a three-week block placement in the same school as the first placement. The focus for this professional experience is on assessment practices with emphasis placed on developing teaching and learning knowledge and skills.


In the third Professional Experience, you will have a three-week block placement. It is intended to build on the knowledge, skills and experiences gained in the previous professional experience units and their placements. The focus for this professional experience is using data to inform teaching and learning.

What is Professional Experience?

Find details about PE requirements in the PE Handbooks for your unit:

Bachelor of Education Secondary PE Handbook


How do I approach schools?

*For students outside of WA only

Use the following documents when approaching schools to find a PE placement:

PE1, PE2 & PE3 School Introductory letter

Bachelor of Education Secondary PE Handbook

Database of schools already listed with SoE

WA students go directly to ‘Do I have everything I need to go on PE?’

Who do I contact for support during PE?

For PE administration queries please contact the Curtin School of Education OUA PE Team ( using this email template.

For PE Academic queries please contact your Tutor, Unit Coordinator, or Course Coordinator.

Curtin Connect: your Curtin hub for general student service, support and advice

Curtin Personal Support