Teacher authorising bodies and, in future years, the National Program Standards for Accreditation of Initial Teacher Education require pre-service teachers to demonstrate literacy and mathematical competency.
LANTITE is a national requirement for graduation from all teacher education courses. Students will be unable to graduate from their courses without having completed these tests.
Update for the Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education
Students completing Initial Teacher Education courses have been concerned about whether they need to complete the Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education (LANTITE). In a letter sent on 9th March 2016 regarding the LANTITE, the School of Education at Curtin University undertook to advise you if the situation changed from what was outlined in that letter. As a result, you should have received a letter via the Official Communications Channel (OCC, accessible via the Welcome page when you log in to Oasis) that outlines changes that have occurred. These changes have been made to protect your interests, specifically, to ensure you are able to use your degree Australia-wide and are not disadvantaged in your efforts to register to teach or secure employment in any state or territory in Australia.
Please note the following:
- Students completing their internship in Semester 2 2016 are not impacted by the decision as they will complete their course and likely graduate before 1st July 2017.
- Students completing their internship in Study Period 4 of 2106 are not impacted by the decision as they will complete their course before 1st July 2017. However, these students should still check with their State Teaching Registration Body as to whether they are required to complete LANTITE as part of their registration process.
- Anyone completing an Initial Teacher Education course after 1st July 2017 will need to have met the requirements of the LANTITE before they can graduate from the School of Education at Curtin University.
- Students who have passed the Pearson Literacy and Numeracy tests set by the School of Education but who will not complete their course before 1st July 2017, will need to meet the requirements of the LANTITE.
- Further information on the LANTITE (for example, sample questions, the Test Window dates, and registration) is available from the website – https://teacheredtest.acer.edu.au/.