Skip to main content

Assessments FAQ

Successfully completing the assessments is a foundation element of your learning journey, and contributes to not only meeting the Unit Learning Objectives, but also the Curtin Graduate Attributes.

Find answers to commonly asked questions about assessment processes and expectations from the School of Education while you complete your Bachelor of Education with Curtin OUA.

If you have more questions, or would like further detail, please comment below.

Am I able to have an extension on my assessment?

Given the right circumstances, yes, you can get an extension on your assessment.
In general, requests for assessment extensions will be directed to your tutor, who will determine whether the reasons for your inability to complete an assessment task by the due date can be accepted as being due to exceptional circumstances beyond your control. If required, your tutor may direct this request to the unit coordinator.

Exception circumstances
Exceptional circumstances which may warrant approval of an assessment extension include, but are not limited to:

  • injury, illness or medical condition
  • family issues
  • commitments to participate in elite sport
  • commitments to assist with emergency service activities
  • unavoidable and unexpected work commitments

How to apply for an assessment extension.
You must apply for an assessment extension using the assessment extension form.  The form and any supporting documentation must be submitted to the unit coordinator or delegate (i.e., tutor) before the assessment date/time or due/time.

An application may be accepted up to five working days after the due date of the assessment task where the student is able to provide an acceptable explanation as to why he/she was unable to submit the application prior to the assessment date.

The unit coordinator/tutor will notify you of the outcome of your application for assessment extension within five working days of the application.

Extensions will normally be granted for up to seven days after the initial due date/time, unless the circumstances warrant a longer delay.

What if my application is rejected?
If an application for Assessment Extension is rejected, the unit coordinator will provide reasons for the decision. You have the right of appeal to the Head of School by writing to your Course co-ordinator.

Do I have to hand in all the assessments for my unit?


In general, all assessments, and all parts of assessments are expected to be completed and submitted. There may be some occasions where the Unit Coordinator decides otherwise, but this would be extremely rare!

Assessments are not considered as submitted if any required sections are incomplete, or if the electronic file is unreadable. It is your responsibility to ensure that assessments are complete and have been successfully uploaded in a readable format.

Is there a standard way to set out my assessments?

Yes, there are some general, required conventions when formatting your text based assessments.  

From time to time your Unit Coordinator may vary from this, but you will be informed through your unit announcements if that is the case.

Please present all assessments in this format:

  • Justified text
  • 11 pt Arial, Calibri, Times New Roman (Some are using 12 pt)
  • 1.5 line spacing
  • Numbered pages
  • No indent for paragraphs – miss a line between paragraphs
  • All assessments should include appropriate in-text referencing and a reference page using APA (6th ed.) style
  • All assessments are presented through ‘Turnitin’ and are then electronically connected to your name. For assurances, try to make sure you add your name or student number to the file name of each assessment.

What should I do if I fail an assessment?

Your options will depend on what mark you received:
If you have received a fail grade of less than 40% of the available marks.
In this case you can only apply for as remark. Apply to your unit co-ordinator.

If you have received a fail grade of less than 50% of the available marks but 40% or more
You will generally be offered the opportunity to either:

  • resubmit your assignment
  • request for your assignment to be re-marked.

Contact your unit co-ordinator to make this request.

Resubmitting your assignment
To be eligible to resubmit:

  • only one assignment must be resubmitted in a unit
  • the work must have achieved a minimum score of 40% of the original mark (This minimum score guideline is applied right across the School of Education and is not a decision made by your tutor)
  • the original work was received by the due date
  • the resubmitted work must be received by the advised due date.

Requesting for your assignment to be re-marked:
A re-mark may be provided where it can be seen that the original marking may not have been in accordance with the marking criteria or rubric. It is not a routine second chance option for you simply because you did not pass the assignment and are unhappy about that.

Step 1: Request the re-mark of your assignment. Contact your unit co-ordinator to make this request.
Step 2: You will be notified by email.
Step 3: You have the opportunity to appeal the outcome of your request.  Appeal is the final step in a process that needs to have first included a dialogue with your tutor and Unit Co-ordinator. This dialogue should serve to reassure you that failed work has been marked by two tutors and that there has been no immediately apparent error in the marking. Find information about the appeal process, including the Appeal against Assessment form.

What should I do if I think my assessment has not been marked fairly or accurately?

If you genuinely believe that assessed work has been unfairly or inaccurately marked or that your final unit grade is inappropriate, you have the right to request a review of the mark or final result.

If this review process is unable to resolve the issue, a formal assessment appeal may be lodged. In all cases, the process involves an initial review of the assessment by the lecturer, marker or unit coordinator.

It is expected that most situations will be resolved without the need for a formal appeal.

Step 1 – Initial Request for Review
Step 2 – Formal Appeal: Students contact the unit coordinator to begin a formal appeal.

If you wish to formally request a re-mark, you must complete the Appeal against Assessment form and submit that to your Unit Coordinator, stating that you believe the work has been unfairly or inaccurately marked.

You should outline the reasons and provide your perspective of where and how you think your work has demonstrated achievement in terms of the marking rubric, at a level higher than that awarded.

To do this, you should:
1. Return to the marking rubric, considering each aspect and level carefully
2. Highlight in your work where you have evidence of having addressed the aspect at a higher level, saying what level you think you have achieved and why.

This will then provide a case for consideration of a re-mark and a framework for reconsideration, should the re-mark be considered appropriate. You must understand that in accordance with University Assessment Policy, the mark given on a re-mark will be final, whether higher, lower, or the same as the original.

Further Appeals against Assessments 
Appeals against assessments should not be undertaken without first having formed a clear view that the assessment has been unfair or incorrect. In most cases, the first stage of the process will be to institute a formal re-mark, as explained above.

However, there may be other circumstances that are leading to the appeal, or you may wish to pursue the appeal beyond the re-mark stage.

An appeal is not to be seen as an immediate expression of your dissatisfaction or disappointment, but a reasonably-formed and informed belief that you have not been assessed fairly for some reason. Please note that a fail mark, whilst no doubt disappointing, does not automatically equate with being unfair.

If your appeal progresses beyond the formal re-mark stage, then it will be referred to a senior academic staff member in the School of Education for full investigation. That process takes time and all parties will be contacted for any further information that may be pertinent to the case.

Supplementary assessments 
Students will sometimes be granted the opportunity to submit a supplementary task in order to meet the pass requirements of a unit. Tutors do not grant this opportunity and students do not request it.

These are the policy parameters within which a supplementary task may be offered (indicating that outside them, they may not):

  • Tutors will indicate to the Board of Examiners whether or not they recommend a supplementary task for any of their students scoring 45-49.
  • The Board will then consider this and advise the student, via the Official Communications Channel, if a supplementary assessment has been offered.
  • The student will then be sent the task and usually, two weeks will be given in which the task needs to be completed.
  • The work will then usually be marked within one week.

Supplementary assessments are not an automatic right afforded every student whose final mark falls between 45 and 49 inclusive. The Board of Examiners will consider other factors, such as circumstances that may have impacted on the student, and the student’s participation in the unit and whether work was submitted by due dates, when making their decision.

What mark do I need to attain in order to pass a unit?

All units require 50% or better for a pass. This results in a grade of 5. Anything under this results in an F grade.

In most units you have to attempt all assessments.


Leave a Reply